|Structure 1201, aboveground kiva|
|ABOUT THIS STRUCTURE|
|General Location||In the great tower complex.
|Specific Location||At the northwest corner of the architectural block.
|Structure Use||The precise use of this structure is not known, but the structure's unusual architecture (large size, location within a two-story tower that would have limited access into the kiva, and possible octagonal shape), floor features (masonry-lined floor vault, elaborate subfloor feature of indeterminate function associated with the hearth), and a few in situ floor artifacts (large fossil shell, oddly shaped river cobbles, complete projectile point on the floor of the hearth) all indicate special use, possibly religious, political, and/or social. The size and distinctive aspects of this structure led to an inference that it was probably not constructed and used by only one family, and is therefore labeled "public architecture."
|Abandonment||The only areas of intact fill in this structure were on the floor just in front of the east and west bench faces; this fill was composed of naturally deposited lenses that apparently accumulated before the roof collapsed. Thus, the roof was probably intact when the structure was abandoned.
|Postabandonment||Most of the structure fill was removed by Western State College field school excavators in 1931; the structure was then backfilled, probably with fill from a nearby structure.
|Copyright © 2003 by Crow Canyon Archaeological Center. All rights reserved.|